Police responded to the 900 block of 33rd Avenue after receiving a 911 call about shots fired around 10:50 p.m. on March 7.

An officer arrived to find seven people surrounding a car, trying to help someone in the backseat. The officer ordered everyone to back away so he could assist the victim.

Three of the people, all males, tried to leave the area. One of the other responding officers recognized one of them; he was listed in the police report as a possible suspect.

The victim had not been shot; however, he had a “very large hematoma” on the back of his head and was going in and out of consciousness. His girlfriend tried to keep the victim alert by asking him questions.

As medics prepared to take the victim to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, the first responding officer spoke with three females, including the victim’s girlfriend.

She told police that a friend had called her to pick up her boyfriend, who was intoxicated. She arrived at the nearby playfield around 10:30 p.m.

She and the victim were walking to her car when an unknown male suspect punched the victim in the head from behind. The victim fell, hitting his head on the pavement; he lost consciousness for about two minutes, she said.

The suspect ran into the playfield, where gunshots were fired shortly thereafter.

The other two females said they didn’t see anything but heard “a loud noise coming from the park.”

A neighbor said he saw the assault and a group of several males enter the park; one of them fired two gunshots.

Police found two shell casings inside the park, which were submitted into evidence.



Police responded to a business in the 3100 block of East Madison Street around 8:25 a.m. on March 10 to investigate a reported burglary.

A ground-level window had been broken, and a statue that had been on the window ledge was now broken on the floor.

Drawers had been left open by the burglar, and a new, unopened computer monitor was left undisturbed. However, a $25 box of chocolates was stolen, along with a coffee maker.



Residents of home on 23rd Avenue East returned home at 2:30 a.m. on March 13 to discover their TV missing.

Two houseguests, who were asleep, said they didn’t hear anyone enter after the residents left at 12:30 a.m. However, they say, the door is always unlocked.

The home “has a constant flow of visitors and is very messy,” according to the police report, so the responding officer wasn’t able to find any evidence or fingerprints.



Someone entered two buildings in the Washington Park Arboretum between 6 p.m. March 4 and 8 a.m. March 5.

The suspect removed plastic panels and pushed over a metal cabinet in the first building. Broken brown glass from a bottle and shards of clear plastic were found on the ground.

The burglar also removed several tools from a toolbox to remove a plastic panel on the second building. The tools were left in a nearby planting bed.

Nothing was reported stolen.