The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.



A man returned to his home on 26th Avenue East at 5:45 p.m. on Feb. 9 to discover that the front door was open and that the attached dog fencing was tampered with. He entered and saw that the back-door glass had been shattered, items were moved or knocked to the floor and his laptop computer was missing.

He then went to get his barking dog and went outside to call police.

Responding police checked the home for anyone inside but didn’t find anyone. They did notice that drawers and doors were opened throughout the home.

Though it couldn’t be immediately determined what other items were stolen, an indeterminate number of coins were taken from a decorative container, along with a hooded sweatshirt that had been delivered that day. The other delivered clothing items were left behind.

Photographs of the home and found fingerprints were submitted for analysis.



A nanny working at a home on Madrona Drive called police around 1:40 p.m. on Feb. 6 to report that someone had broken the window to the back door after she left at 11:30 a.m. She waited outside for police to arrive.

The responding officers determined that the suspect broke the glass in the back door to unlock the door. The suspect then stole items and left through the same door. The police report did not list the missing items.

The police found fingerprints and submitted them for analysis.

That same day, a neighbor had called police to report that she had seen a suspect in his 20s with a backpack near the victim’s home. She tried to follow him but lost sight of him.



A woman in the 800 block of Hillside Drive East returned from a trip on Feb. 16 to find her garage door open and her car missing. She then entered her home to discover her back door kicked in. Items were pulled out of cabinets, which were all left open. Two windows were also broken.

Stolen were two laptop computers, a flat-screen TV, an antique ring, a digital camera and three guns. The residents were to call police with the serial numbers of the stolen guns and other items.

Neighbors told police they saw an unfamiliar vehicle in their victim’s driveway the day she left, but they didn’t think it was suspicious.

The home’s security system hadn’t activated yet, but no one knew of the victim’s trip plans.

The police took photos of the damage and submitted them into evidence.