POLICE NOTES | October 2014


Police responded to the 600 block of 32nd Avenue, where a neighbor heard glass break and then saw three teenage boys leaving a home with items wrapped in blankets around 8 p.m. on Sept. 3.

Officers found a broken glass door that was left open, but no one was inside.

The owner returned home and reported that many items were missing: a video-game console, a laptop computer, five watches, two inactive cellular phones, a gold necklace and $100 cash.

Fingerprints were found and submitted into evidence, as were a box of liquor found outside the home, a bottle of liquor left on a table and a knife moved from the kitchen to the office.


A man in the 900 block of 28th Avenue South arrived home around 3 p.m. on Sept. 16 to discover that two bags of recently purchased clothing, a video-game console, games, controllers and a children’s tablet were missing.

The resident said he was at home between 9 and 10:30 a.m. when a neighbor knocked on his door. He ignored the knocking and then noticed the door handle move as if the neighbor was trying to enter.

The man then said he left between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

There was not damage to the front and back doors; they were still locked.

The suspect apparently entered through an open window and left through the same window.

The police found fingerprints from outside the window; they were submitted into evidence.

The man believes his neighbor may have broken into the home. The neighbor denied it, saying he just wanted to “bum a cigarette,” as he had done in the past.


A suspect entered an office in the 4200 block of East Madison Street overnight on the night of Sept. 16 through an unlocked door. He stole a cash drawer, a set of building keys and $10 cash.


A resident in the 1700 block of 25th Avenue arrived home at 3:15 p.m. on Sept. 1 to discover that someone had forced open a window, breaking a window latch, and entered his home.

The suspect stole two laptop computers, a camera, some coins and a laundry bag.

He then left through the front door, which was found open.

The resident said he had only been gone an hour. 


Someone threw a softball-sized rock through a glass door of a home in the 2500 block of East Ward Street between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Sept. 11. The suspect then entered and stole two laptop computers, a tablet computer and a speaker.

The suspect had also searched an office file cabinet, a table and a hutch, but it couldn’t be determined whether anything else was taken.

No viable fingerprints were found. 


An alarm was tripped at a business in the 2900 block of East Madison Street around 5:50 a.m. on Sept. 13.

Responding officers arrived to find the glass broken above the deadbolt lock in the front door.

Nothing appeared to have been disturbed or stolen. The police deduced that the alarm scared the suspect away. 


A girl was talking on her cellular phone in front of her home in the 800 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Way around 5:10 p.m. on Sept. 2 when a teenage boy at a nearby bus stop approached her. He pushed her over, took her phone and ran off.

The girl ran after him but couldn’t catch him as he ran through an alley. The suspect’s two friends, who were at the bus stop with him, didn’t move as she ran past them; they were gone, however, when she returned.

She then called police. 


A cash register with $10 in coins and a point-of-sale system were stolen from a business in the 1100 block of 34th Avenue on Sept. 17.

A surveillance video showed two male suspects break the glass door and enter the premises around 9:55 p.m. They left two minutes later.

The stolen items were found undamaged at the nearby playfield. Most of the stolen coins were recovered, as well.


A worker at a home in the 1200 block of 39th Avenue called police to report that someone had broken into it between noon and 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 3. The homeowners were on vacation during the burglary.

According to the police report, the suspect entered the home by climbing a “small” ladder and through a slightly opened window. He then went through various drawers.

The worker believes jewelry was taken, but it couldn’t be confirmed until the residents’ return.

A footprint was found; a photo of it was submitted into evidence.