POLICE NOTES | December 2011

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.

The resident arrived home in the 200 block of 31st Avenue around 5:40 p.m. Nov. 14 to find his door had been kicked in.

He called police and the landlord, who said that he had stopped by at noon and saw the damaged door. However, he didn’t notify the resident or police, he said, because he thought the door had been damaged during an incident the previous night.

Someone had entered the resident’s home and opened cabinets and drawers. He also threw newspapers from a bed onto the floor. Nothing else appeared to be disturbed, and nothing was stolen.

A woman in the 400 block of 30th Avenue heard her dog barking around 2 p.m. Nov. 17, but she didn’t think much of it until she saw her neighbor’s window “open or missing” around 2:45 p.m. She called police.

Responding officers discovered that the suspect had pushed in the window, causing the pane to pop out of the frame and into the home.

The suspect then entered a foyer and broke a stained-glass window of another door, possibly with a rubber mallet that was later found in the home.

They also found a rubber glove, and both the glove and the mallet were submitted for fingerprint evidence.

Someone shattered two windows of a home in the 3300 block of East Howell Street between 9:30 a.m. and 5:15 p.m. Nov. 8.

While no entry was made and nothing inside the home appeared out of place, the suspects removed items from a shelf near one of the windows and placed them on the ground.

No fingerprints were found.

The police report noted that the same officer responded to a home a block away around 11:50 a.m. that day to investigate a report of two teen-age girls knocking on a woman’s door. They asked for directions to 27th Avenue, but they went in the opposite direction and onto a neighbor’s porch.

The girls were not located.

A resident returned to her home in the 2700 block of East Roy Street at 6:40 p.m. Nov. 10 to find the gate and a back door open. She called her husband, and when he arrived, they found a bedroom ransacked.

Stolen were a TV, three gaming consoles, two guitars, two laptop computers and jewelry.

The suspects entered through an unlocked window that was only big enough “for a young kind or small teen-ager,” according to the police report. Several items near the window were knocked onto the floor.

They left through the back door.

No fingerprints were found.

A laptop computer, an iPod, a camera and a pair of surgical glasses were among the items stolen from a home in the 2900 block of East Denny Way between noon and 2:30 p.m. Nov. 11.

The suspects apparently broke in through the window with a brick before ransacking the home.

The resident’s miscellaneous electronics paperwork was found near his garbage can, and his computer bag was found in a neighbor’s yard-waste bin.

Someone threw a rock through a glass door to a home in the 2300 block of East Olive Street and pushed the safety glass out of the frame between 10 and 11:15 a.m. Nov. 13.

The suspect then proceeded to enter the home, leaving muddy shoeprints on the floor.

Nothing in the home appeared out of place or missing, according to the police report, and the resident, who was sleeping at the time of the incident, did not hear anything.

However, the suspect did “obviously” touch a rusty garden tool outside the home. It was unsuitable for fingerprint analysis.

The police report noted that the home has a security alarm, but it had not been triggered.

Suspects entered a home in the 3200 block of East Howell Street on Nov. 14 through a window that had been left open for a resident’s cat.

The suspects ransacked the home and stole a large-screen TV, $400 cash, an iPod, a laptop computer and possibly business checks.

A money jar had been moved but was not taken. Fingerprints found on the jar were submitted for analysis, as was a window screen and a soap dispenser that was found outside.

Photos were taken of footprints found underneath the window and also submitted for analysis.

The burglary was discovered at 9:55 p.m.


An iMac computer, a digital camera and jewelry were stolen from a home in the 2400 block of East Helen Street between 9 a.m. and 7:25 p.m. Nov. 23.

The suspects kicked open the door but left the home “generally neat and tidy” as it did not appear to have been “excessively rifled through,” according to the police report.

A safe had been left untouched, as was an expensive guitar.

No fingerprints were found.

The vacationing owner of a home in the 3000 block of East Union Street called a friend to check on her home after she received a call from her alarm company at 11:35 a.m. Nov. 5.
The alarm company had told her that the alarm had sounded, showing inside movement.

Thinking it was her cat, the homeowner told the alarm company to disregard the alarm and to not call police.

She then called her friend.

The friend went to the home and found a window was open, so he called police.

With the homeowner on the phone, police were able to determine that two iPods and a laptop computer were stolen.

A man was in his home in the 1600 block of 37th Avenue around 11:30 a.m. Nov. 13 when he noticed new damage to a window frame. He looked on the outside of the window and saw several pry marks.

No entry was made, nothing was stolen and no fingerprints were found.

The resident thinks the incident occurred after midnight Nov. 10.

Someone broke into a home in the 3000 block of East Union Street on Nov. 18, stealing laptop computers and several game consoles.

The suspect appeared to have entered by breaking a window. He left through the same window, as all the door were still locked, according to the police report.

The incident occurred between 9:30 a.m. and 3:35 p.m.

Police responded to the 3400 block of East Valley Street around 3 a.m. Nov. 23 to investigate a report of an occupied burglary in progress. They arrived to find one suspect and arrested him for burglary.

The residents said a second suspect was at the back of the home, but he wasn’t located, despite the use of a canine unit.

The suspects apparently entered through an unlocked door.

The female homeowner found the first suspect seated in the living room. She yelled at him and tried to get him to leave, but he was not “immediately responsive.” Other family members responded, however.

According to police, there was no violence inside the home, and it does not appear that the suspect had time to take anything.”

The suspect, who appeared to be “very intoxicated,” was booked into King County Jail. It was unknown why he entered the victims’ home.

The police did not state how the second suspect figured into the incident.[[In-content Ad]]