Police report for June


Car prowl

Sunday 6/1, 5:08 p.m.

A man and his friends and family parked their car in the lot near a footbridge before spending the day in the arboretum. Around dinner time a witness heard the sound of breaking glass and saw a man reach inside the passenger window of the vehicle and take something. The thief then left the scene in a late-model silver pickup.

The investigating officer noted the thief used some kind of pry tool to break open the front passenger-side window to take a purse that had been placed beneath the front passenger seat.


Property damage

Thursday 6/12, 6:47 p.m.

A resident in the 2900 block of South Norman Street reported 4-12 children were throwing rocks in the area, possibly striking a vehicle.

At the scene, the officer saw a group of about 10 children playing nearby. A witness approached the officer and said she had asked the children to stop chucking rocks. She then went inside her home and heard a "thump," like an object hitting a car and the children talking about it.

The officer questioned the kids, and they said a smaller child, between ages 3 and 5, had hit the car with a rock but was no longer in the area.

The officer noticed two small dents and some scratching in the door of a black SUV. The officer warned the children to stop throwing rocks in the area.

Madison Park


Saturday 6/7, 9 a.m.

The resident of an apartment on East Edgewater Place went out of town. While she was gone, she had scheduled for some work to be done on her place.

When she returned at 9 p.m. the following day, she discovered someone had taken a Nikon camera, a tote bag, a portable DVD player, several prescription drugs and approximately $11,000 in jewelry.

Madison Valley


Sunday 6/8, 9:13 p.m.

A man living in the 500 block of 30th Ave. E. called the police after he saw a man repeatedly entering and leaving the rear entrance of a building the caller was watching for the owner. The watcher confirmed with the owner that no one had permission to enter the building prior to calling the cops.

At the scene, an officer watched lights going off and on in the home and could see a person moving around inside. The officer contacted the owner, who said he's had the house for almost a year and that it has been vacant while he's been trying to sell it. The owner guessed that the intruder may be the home's previous owner's son, who he thought was breaking into the home to "use drugs because he knows it is vacant."

The officer contacted the intruder, a 47-year-old man, who said that he used to live in the home. The man also told the officer the home was unlocked and it was okay he was in there. The officer said that it wasn't, even if the door was unlocked, and noted in his report that there were pry marks on the doorframe.

The man was arrested for criminal trespass and was found to have a felony Department of Corrections warrant.

Attempted burglary

Thursday 6/12, 12:31 p.m.

A woman living in the 2600 block of E. Valley St. was in her home when she noticed a man looking in her backyard, second story window. She called the police.

The responding officer noted that for the prowler to get such a view, he would have needed to either go through the woman's gate into her backyard or climb her fence after which he walked up the home's back staircase to the rear doors and windows.

The woman said nothing was taken, and the officer found palm and fingerprints, which were submitted into evidence, where the prowler appeared to have tried to push the second window up to gain entry.


Warrant, obstructing

Tuesday 6/10, 5:52 p.m.

An officer contacted a felony warrant suspect (two drug charges) near the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Way and East Union Street. Earlier in the day, the man was arrested for the drug warrants. After he was taken to the police precinct he complained of chest pain.

Firefighters responded to evaluate him, and he was taken via ambulance to Harborview Medical Center for further treatment. While at the hospital, the man told one of the officers that he would "take care of the warrants just as soon as he was released."

This was the second time in a week the man was arrested for drug warrants, placed in custody, complained of chest pains, was treated at the hospital and then released.

During the MLK and Union arrest, the officer had the suspect sit on his patrol car's bumper while he checked the man's records, during which the officer discovered the warrants were still active. During the check, the officer went inside his patrol car, and the 58-year-old suspect took off running.

A foot chase ensued. The officer chased the man through an alley between MLK and 27th Avenue, periodically ordering him to stop.

The chase weaved back south on MLK, where the suspect tried to crawl through some shrubs on the west side of the road. The officer caught him there.

Backup officers responded, and the man was taken into custody. Again, he complained of chest pains and was admitted into the hospital. After being treated and released by medical personnel, he was turned over to King County Jail officials without incident.

Washington Park

Property damage

Monday 6/9, 6:30 p.m.

Someone used black spray paint to tag the east side fence of a home in the 370 block of E. Madison St. The same thing happened about a month prior, but the owner didn't report it and chose to paint out the graffiti. This time, the owner let the graffiti stand until officers arrived and took pictures of it.

[[In-content Ad]]