POLICE BLOTTER | August 2014

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.


Police responded to the 400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard East around 1:55 a.m. on July 8 to investigate a burglary in progress.

The 911 operator could hear a person yelling in the background. The caller said he was waiting at the top of the stairs with a baseball bat.

According to the police report, another 911 call was made only moments before about a naked man walking from 29th Avenue East to East Roy Street, heading eastbound, as he talked to himself.

Numerous police units responded and surrounded the home.

One officer spotted the naked suspect in front of the home, heading for the street, and yelled for him to stop. The suspect looked at the officer and said, “No.”

He then ran northbound on Lake Washington Boulevard, with officers in pursuit. They took him into custody a short time later.

The suspect identified himself and then started “babbling about speaking to Jesus Christ,” the report noted.

An officer asked the man why he kicked in the front door; he replied, “You can’t put barriers in God’s path.”

The man later told medics that he had used LSD.

The residents said they were sleeping when they heard a person screaming at the bottom of their stairs. One resident grabbed the baseball bat and called police.

The suspect stopped screaming after a few minutes.

No items were disturbed or stolen during the incident.

The home’s security cameras captured the incident. Copies were not available to police at the time of the report.


A resident in the 1100 block of Lakeside Avenue South called police around 2 p.m. July 14 to report a burglary that had occurred earlier that day.

She told the responding officer that her tenant, with whom she had been arguing for the last few days, was moving out, and she had rented a truck to move his belongings to a storage unit in Woodinville.

While they were moving the tenant’s items into the truck, she noticed that two ballast boxes belonging to her were inside the truck.

She argued with the tenant briefly, and they agreed to leave the ballasts by the door, near other ballast units and a light timer, which were to be loaded into the truck. These items were then moved inside her doorway, and they left around 10:15 a.m.

They returned to the home at 12:40 p.m. and the woman asked her boyfriend to accompany her to return the moving truck, while the tenant continued to pack.

The woman returned at 2 p.m. to discover that the items placed inside her doorway were missing. She theorized that the tenant entered through a connecting door between their homes, which is usually locked, and stole the items.

Police spoke with the tenant, who admitted that he did load two of the resident’s ballasts into the truck, which caused the argument. He then moved the items inside and locked the door before he and the resident returned the truck.

He said the items were missing when they returned.

The tenant then allowed police to entered his home and showed them his now-empty grow operation, which used the ballasts.

He said he and the resident have ballasts of the same brand and that he already moved his out. He denied taking the resident’s.

The police checked the connecting door, which was blocked by a bed and locked, and the garbage in front it had been undisturbed, the report noted; the resident was advised of this.


Someone broke into a home in the 500 block of 31st Avenue South between 8:15 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The suspect opened most of the drawers and cabinets.

Stolen were a tablet computer, two cameras, two pairs of binoculars, two watches, a backpack with some prescription medication inside, some foreign money, 20 silver dollars and a 12-gauge shotgun with ammunition.

The front door had been forced open, but damage had been cleaned up by the time police arrived.


A man on 30th Avenue South called police around 6:44 p.m. on July 9 to report a burglary.

That morning, he had noticed that someone had plugged in his electric vehicle overnight and that the contents of his console were lying on the floor mat.

A pair of prescription sunglasses was stolen.

He told police that he had left his garage unlocked for some contractors who needed access to the water value inside.

He later called the car’s manufacturer, who advised him that, while no one had driven his vehicle, the car “awoke” at 1 a.m. from being plugged in or someone using the electronic dash. It also “awoke” at its regular 4 a.m. charge time.

The man arrived home that afternoon to find his garage door open. He thinks the suspect returned for the car but left the door open upon finding the garage empty.

No fingerprints were found.

The man is now locking the garage door in case the suspect should return. 


Police responded to the 100 block of 29th Avenue South on July 21 to investigate a burglary that occurred while the resident was gone for 40 minutes.

According to the resident, she arrived home to find the front door open and the inside in disarray. She called police.

As she waited for them to arrive, a neighbor told her that she had seen a group of kids with a ladder in the parking lot just a few minutes before.

The resident checked a side window and found it open, the screen gone and the fan removed.

Officers found a ladder behind a shed in the parking lot. Nearby were several bags placed on top and under a vehicle, as well as a window screen on the ground.

The resident looked through the bags but didn’t find anything of hers. She had reported two credit cars, two Bluetooth speakers and a laptop computer as stolen.

Another resident arrived and reported a digital camera, two specialty knives and $2,500 cash were missing.

Yet another resident arrived, and though the suspects had entered through her window, nothing was stolen of hers.

No viable fingerprints were found.